I am a traveller , recipe developer and an avid cook . I run my facebook cooking group called sikandalous Cuisine and also organise India's biggest Oriental food festival called Asian Hawkers Market .#asianhawkersmarket
Bigtime into nature and animals - and yes there is a fun side too waiting to be discovered !
Do follow me on instagram https://www.instagram.com/atul_sikand/
Monday, 29 May 2017
Golden Citrus Cake #sikandalouscuisine
Preheat Oven 160C - Bake 40-45 Minutes
One look at the beautiful citrus cake that Didi Grewal posted and I knew I had to make it too , and I did within the hour of her posting it , and am now sharing my take on her recipe with a few changes.This cake was delicious !
1 Cup Flour.
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder.
1/4 Teaspoon Salt.
50 Grams Butter.
60 Ml Oil - Not in Recipe.
1 Teaspoon Ginger paste - Not in recipe - I love ginger and orange together.
3/4 Cups Sugar.
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice.
1 Teaspoon Grated Orange Zest.
3/4th Cup Orange Juice- Original recipe calls for 1/2 cup . I used extra and cooked it down To 1/2 cup to get a more intense flavor.
For The Glazing:
1/2 Cup Orange Juice.
Orange segments - From one orange broken down- Not in Recipe.
A Pinch of Saffron - Not in recipe.
1/2 Teaspoon Cornflour.
Prepare orange glaze by simmering orange segments & saffron in orange juice for 2-3 minutes. Taste , adjust sweetness by adding more sugar if needed , I added 2 tablespoons. Now add in cornflour, mix well , cook another 30-40 seconds. Cool and pour on cake.
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. Carefully separate egg yolks and whites.
3. Cream Butter , sugar till light and fluffy , add oil and cream more.
4. Add egg yolks lemon juice , zest and ginger paste to butter and sugar and blend well.
5. Add the flour mixture alternately with the orange juice to the batter.
6. Whisk egg whites till peaks form.
7. Fold egg whites into the batter till no white streaks remain.
8. Pour batter into a lightly greased and flour dusted dish till done and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Glaze the cake when warm.
1. Separate eggs when chilled.When they're cold, the yolks and eggs seem to hold their shape better and separate more easily.
2. In a dry glass /metal bowl , never plastic , using clean and dry beaters , bring egg whites to room temperature and then whisk them slowly initially.When foamy and frothy increase speed to high till the stage when whisk lifted out of the egg whites, the peak will stand erect and not bend over. If you whisk beyond this stage , peaks will collapse, so there is a risk in over whisking too.