Thursday, 27 July 2017

Chikse #sikandalouscuisine - A Shravani Somavar Pakvan


Recipe Credits Kalpana Talpade

I saw this very unique recipe by Kalpana Ji and I knew it had to be made . There was some confusion as to whether to add water/milk while grinding the soaked dal , I added milk to get a thick batter like consistency and proceeded to bake it . Turns out as Kalpana Ji later pointed out that no liquid was to be added while grinding the dal.

However this much dal would then have produced very little as there was hardly any bulk or volume. I have to discuss this with Kalpana , meanwhile here is what I made - next time will understand the recipe better and make accordingly .

Ingredients :
1/2 Cup Chana Dal.
1/2 Cup Sugar.
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar - I added.
2 Tablespoons Pure Ghee.
1/8 Teaspoon Soda bi Carb- The embarrassing confession , I forgot !
5. Salt a Pinch
5-6 Cardamom- I used 10 , but then the ones we get in Delhi arent that aromatic.
7. Nutmeg A Dash
1/4th Cup Chopped Dry Fruits - I used half a cup.

Method :
1. Soak the chana dal overnight.
2. Course grind the chana dal.
3. Powder the sugar and cardamom.
4. Chop the nuts: almonds, pista and cashew nuts.
5. Mix all the ingredients.
6. Keep some chopped dry fruits for garnishing.
7. Line a cake tin with ghee.
8. Pre heat the oven at 150 degrees C.
9. Bake the Chickse for 25 to 30 mins.

Kalpana Ji's recipe ended at step 9 , and I should have ended mine too here , but 1 cup ground channa dal gave no volume and wasnt flowing , so I added milk , increased sweet and dry fruit and baked as per her recipe. It was still tasty , and had I added baking soda the consistency would have been better . My guests enjoyed it . I need to make it again and more accurately.
Atul Sikand
Founding Member ,Delhi Gourmet Club
DirectorAsian Hawkers Market Pvt. Ltd. #asianhawkersmarket #sikandalouscuisine #veebaasianhawkersmarket 
Administrator  & Owner Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/ 
More About My Work At , http://sikandalous-cuisine.blogspot.in/

No comments:

Post a Comment