Saturday, 8 July 2017

Chicken Caldin #sikandalouscuisine


Caldin or Caldinho is a mild goan curry , typically not spicy but with a mellow flavor . I was happy to come across this lovely robust recipe in Odette Mascarenhas's cookbook titled The Culinary Heritage of Goa .​I upped the spice a bit and it was just perfect for me . Caldin curry is normally cooked with fish - I went with boneless Chicken thigh meat.

​300 Grams Boneless Chicken - Cubed.
1 Coconut.
1 Medium Onion.
Oil.
Masala:
1.5 Tablespoons Coriander Seeds. ​
1.5 Tablespoons Khus Khus.
1/2 Teaspoon Jeera.
1/2 Teaspoon Haldi.
6 Black Peppercorn.
1/2 " Cinnamon.
2 Cloves.
4 Dried Red Chilies - I used fresh green chilies .
4 Cloves Garlic.
1" Ginger.
1-2 Teaspoons Tamarind Paste.
Salt.

1. Grind masala to a fine paste.
2. Extract coconut milk.
3. Heat oil , saute onions till pink , add masala , when you see some oil add coconut milk , bring to a gentle boil and then slip in the fish.Cook till done.
Note:
As I was using chicken , I marinated my chicken in masala for 20-30 minutes , and after cooking onions I added chicken , sauteed chicken gently till done , adding in some coconut milk as needed.. no water. When my chicken was done , I added in more coconut milk to get the desired gravy . I made my gravy thick.

This was brilliant !


Atul Sikand
Founding Member ,Delhi Gourmet Club
DirectorAsian Hawkers Market Pvt. Ltd. #asianhawkersmarket #veebaasianhawkersmarket
Administrator  & Owner Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/ #sikandalouscuisine
More About My Work At , http://sikandalous-cuisine.blogspot.in/

No comments:

Post a Comment