This recipe has been adapted from The Culinary Heritage of Goa - and the developer of the recipe is Chef Gopal of the legendary Hotel Mandovi which was established during the Portuguese rule.These traditional vegetarian recipes arent seen in many commercial establishments , and perhaps in this day and age , cooked in a few homes. This came out so delicious.
1 Kg Small Baingans.
2 Coconuts - Grate using small hole.
100 Grams Jaggery -Adjust.
1-2 Tablespoons Tamarind Pulp - Adjust
Separately Dry Roast & Make POWDER:
10 Red Chilies.
1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds.
2 Teaspoons Black Peppercorn.
2 Star Anise - Not in recipe , added on an impulse.
1 Teaspoon Haldi.
1. Make a small slit in each brinjal , scoop out some seeds - I lightly oiled the surface of each baingan .
2. Add grated coconut to POWDER and stuff each baingan.
3. Heat oil in pan , add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
4. Place baingans on onions , along with any leftover coconut masala.
5. Add some hot water and cook till baingans are soft.**
6. Mix tamarind pulp and jaggery with 100 Ml water and spread over cooked baingans and cook another 4-5 minutes.
Sprinkle some green dhania and sit down to a divine Bharleli Vengun !