Saturday, 15 July 2017

Apple Tart #sikandalouscuisine


I put together this recipe after reading some online . I retained the base recipe from what Zaver had shared for her lemon bars. This was my first apple tart - made lots of apple crumble though - and I must say I quite loved the results. 

Am impatient with making things look pretty - later it struck me I could have used my mandoline slicer to slice apples neatly! My ' DUH' moment but one lives and learns . Do excuse the look - taste was mindblowing !

​Bake at 180 C​


For The Base:
175 Grams Flour.
125 Grams Chilled Butter. 
25 Grams Grain sugar 
2 Tablespoons Coarsely Ground Almonds.

Method:
1. Rub together flour and butter to breadcrumb consistency. Mix in the sugar and crumbled almonds.
2. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and press down firmly. Bake in preheated oven for 20 mins till golden .

For Apple Filling:
1 Kg Apples - I used red firm ones from J&K.
2 Tablespoon Soft Butter.
2-3 Tablespoons Castor Sugar - Will depend upon apple sweetness too.
2 Star Anise.
3-4 Cloves.
1" Cinnamon.
2-3 Tablespoons Water.

Method:
Heat butter in a pan , sizzle star anise , cinnamon and cloves for 1 minute , then add peeled and chopped apples, saute a minute , add 2 tablespoons water and cook till apple are are soft.Add lemon juice and lemon zest, cook another minute and mash to a puree.

For Topping:
3-4 Apples - I used red firm ones from J&K.
2 Tablespoons Castor Sugar.
Diluted Jam For Glazing - I used spiced orange jam diluted with some water.
Crushed Almonds For Dusting - Optional.

Method:

3. Spread apple puree on the baked tart shell.
4. Peel and core apples , keeping their rounded shape, then slice them lengthways.
5. Arrange the apple slices in neat rings on the base which you have covered with apple puree ..overlapping them- this way cover the entire base.
6. Sprinkle castor sugar and bake apples for 30 minutes or till semi soft.
7. Spread the glaze over the apples - I kept mine thick as I wanted a second layer of flavor .Sprinkle some crushed almonds , bake tart for another 3-4 minutes.

Serve warm - it was delicious as is , though vanilla ice cream or creme fraiche is ideal.


Atul Sikand

Founding Member ,Delhi Gourmet Club
DirectorAsian Hawkers Market Pvt. Ltd. #asianhawkersmarket #sikandalouscuisine #veebaasianhawkersmarket 
Administrator  & Owner Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/ 
More About My Work At , http://sikandalous-cuisine.blogspot.in/

No comments:

Post a Comment