At home we tend to cook karela or peas when we make kadhi chawal , which is every Saturday for lunch . I dont know how this ' pairing ' came to be , but this is like a given meal combo for the past 50 years that I can recall . I am sharing here a new and simple way we made karelas .
250 Grams Tender Karels.
1 Medium Sized Onion.
1 Tomato or More.
1 Teaspoon Jeera.
Chilies - Fresh or powder to taste.
1/2 Teaspoon Haldi Powder.
1/2 Teaspoon Sauf Powder.
1. Scrape Karelas - cut into 1/4" pieces .
2. Cut onions and Tomatoes the same size.
3. Heat oil , splutter jeera , add onions , when translucent add karelas , haldi and salt along with chilies to taste.
4. Tip in karelas and cook 10 minutes till karelas are soft and done.
5. When karelas are cooked , add chopped tomatoes , and cook covered for 1-2 minutes , just long enough to soften them and for them to release their juices.
6. Take off heat , mix in sauf powder and you are good to go ! Delicious .