Monday, 20 February 2017

Orange Polenta Cake #sikandalouscuisine


This recipe is from BBC GoodFood. 

I hadn't planned on baking a cake , was actually surfing for recipes where I could use up my polenta which had expired last month ! I chanced upon this recipe and it sounded perfect - it came out light and super delicious. 

However I wish such reputed publications would list out ingredients more accurately though... Saying ' juice of two oranges ' is way too vague , ml must be specified . Here I used 120 Ml in the batter as 100 was retained for the topping which I increased to 200 ml and reduced to 100. I also added orange zest to the topping which wasn't a part of the recipe.


250 Grams Unsalted Butter.
250 Grams Golden Castor Sugar.
4 Large Eggs.
140 Grams Polenta.
200 Grams Flour / Maida
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder.
2 Oranges ( I used 3 ) Juice & Zest  - reserve 100 ml juice for glazing- I reserved 200 for glazing and used 120 Ml in the cake batter.

For Orange Glazing :
200 Ml Orange Juice.
100 Grams Golden Castor Sugar.
2 Tablespoons Orange Zest.

  1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Line the base and sides of a round 23cm cake tin with baking parchment. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Once the mixture is combined, add all the dry ingredients and the zest and 120 ml orange juice .
  2. Transfer the mixture to the tin, spread evenly, then cook for about 45 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
  3. To make the glaze, put the 200 ml orange juice and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for 5 mins, then remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drizzle the orange glaze over the top of the cooled cake. This cake was sensational !
Atul Sikand
DirectorAsian Hawkers Market Pvt. Ltd.
​ #asianhawkersmarket​

Administrator  & Owner Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/
More About My Work At , http://sikandalous-cuisine.blogspot.in/

No comments:

Post a Comment