Thursday, 9 February 2017

Bahoor Special Vadai #sikandalouscuisine


What I love about our group is how much we learn here . I was chatting with our member Ramaa Shanker who apart from being a food historian has also authored Festive Offerings To The Gods - Divine Soul Recipes. This book showcases ' PRASAD ' or temple cuisine of South India , the rituals behind food selection , preparation and presentation.Prasad a healing food that satisfies the palate and soothes the soul !

That one key ingredient in these vadai was Banana Flower and that intimidated me and I nearly gave up the idea of making the dish. I then thought , how would I learn more if I stick in the comfort zone of known and tested - so we began to clean banana flower after watching a youtube. It was so worth it !


3/4 Cups Channa Dal
1/4 Cup Toor Dal.
1 Cup Minced Palak.
1/2 Cup Banana Flowers - Cleaned and choped.
1/2 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds.
2 Onions Chopped.***
2 Pinches Hing.
3-4 Red Chilies Minced.
4-5 Curry Leaves Chopped.
1" Ginger Minced.
2 Cloevs Garlic Minced.***
1/4 Cup Coconut Grated.
A Pinch Soda - Not in recipe , but made them lighter.
Oil .

1. Soak both dals for 2-3 hours and grind to a coarse consistency adding chilies , salt , fennel seeds and hing.You wont need water .
2. Add all other ingredients and mix well .
3. Shape the vadai - I didnt keep mine flat but made them round.
4. Deep fry over medium heat for 4-5 minutes till they color a golden brown.
Serve these delicious vadai with chutney - which I didn't need as these were so well flavored and came out crisp from the outside and tender from within . 

Truly a celebration food !

*** When served as prasad , onions and garlic aren't added.

Atul Sikand
DirectorAsian Hawkers Market Pvt. Ltd.
​ #sikandlouscuisine​

Administrator  & Owner Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/
More About My Work At , http://sikandalous-cuisine.blogspot.in/

No comments:

Post a Comment