Wednesday, 25 May 2016

Multi Grain Irish Soda Bread #sikandalouscuisine



My friend Sharmila the other day shared an amazing looking bread on her wall , which she posted on sikandalous yesterday too. After seeing her wall post I was impatient to make her recipe but our time zones being different I had to wait 10 hours which I wasn’t ready to do , so I googled a recipe , made a few changes and ended up with the most delicious pan baked rustic Soda Bread

Here is the original recipe  from Allrecipes by

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
4 cups all-purpose flour*
4 tablespoons white sugar **
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup buttermilk

Important Tip - just about assemble the dough into a ball that holds well , don’t overwork it . Remember these are rustic breads and free of form. I baked my bread in the pan you see in the photograph.



In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet.

In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.

Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Check for doneness after 30 minutes.

* I used 2 cups Maida and 2 cups mixed Wheat Atta , Ragi Flour , Soya Flour and Jowar Flour making it a total 4 cups as per recipe.
** I used 2 Tablespoons Sugar + 1 Tablespoon Honey.
*** Last 10 minutes I reduced heat to 160C and glazed it once again with butter mixture.
This bread was amazingly delicious and honey gave a beautiful flavor .

Administrator  & Owner Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/

No comments:

Post a Comment