Saturday, 21 November 2015

Kumro Bhate / Boiled Red Pumpkin #sikandalouscuisine


Recipe Credits -  Minakshie DasGupta's Bangla Ranna.

Bhate, or  ‘in rice’ -vegetables boiled in the pot of cooking rice . I believe most vegetables like potatoes , pumpkins , various gourds could be a bhate .Cooking vegetables along with rice was probably an energy/time saving method , also that way I guess essential nutrients and flavors of boiled vegetables weren't drained away .
1/2 Kg Red Pumpkin.
1 Tablespoon Mustard Paste.
1 Onion Finely Chopped.
3-4 Green Chilies Finely Chopped
Lemon Juice to Taste.
A pinch of Sugar ( Optional ).
1-2 Tablespoons Mustard Oil.
Salt
Boil covered in very little water and when soft drain the pumpkin ( retain liquid to use in soup/dal ), mash well.Add in mustard paste along with all other ingredients.Mix thoroughly and serve at room temperature.

I didn't mash my pumpkin too thoroughly though as I like a bit of a ' bite ' . I also drizzled extra MO from the top .This tasted amazing and I will make this more often for sure. We ate it with rice.


Director, Asian Hawkers Market Pvt. Ltd.
Administrator  & 
​Hawaldar​
Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/



No comments:

Post a Comment