Saturday, 10 October 2015

Idyappam / String Hoppers With Egg Curry #sikandalouscuisine


How can anything that has eggs not be delicious ? I felt like pampering myself over breakfast - wasn't inclined to go the standard egg and toast route though I knew it was egg that I wanted - so headed Southwards and came up with this delicious Idyappam / String Hoppers Egg Curry dish . What made it different and delicious was that I used Ragi , Jowar and Rice Flour to make idyappams/ string hoppers and added sambar powder to my egg curry.
Idyappam / String Hoppers.


I watched a couple of YouTubes initially and got the hang of making these yummies , now they are a permanent part of my life . I have to thank Veenu Chopra for one day surprising me and sending me the idyappam press ! Today I experimented by adding different flours to rice flour - I love the flavors Ragi and Jowar added here.
1 Cup Rice Flour.
1/2 Cup Jowar Flour.
1/2 Cup Ragi Flour.
Salt to taste.
Hot water - NOT boiling hot but like around 70-80C .
Mix flours and salt , slowly add in hot water and keep stirring , you want to end up with a thick almost solid mass , more like mashed potatoes. Rest this 5-6 minutes while you prepare your idli steamer .
Put flour mass into the Idyappam press which should be lightly greased , press and form these hoppers directly on to the idli lightly oiled moulds and steam 5-6 minutes till done.
Egg Curry:

 
 


6 Boiled Eggs - Peel and make slits on the surface only.

1 Onion Chopped Length Wise.*
1 Onion Chopped Small.*
2 Sprigs Tender Curry Leaves.
1 Tomato Cut Length Wise.*
1 Tomato Chopped Small.*
1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic.
Dried Red Chilies To Taste.
Salt.
1 Heaped Teaspoon Sambar Powder.
Red Chili Powder - Color and taste .
1/2 Teaspoon Haldi.
Dot of Hing.
2 Teaspoons Rai Seeds.
2-3 Petals Kokum/1 Teaspoon Tamarind Paste.
Mustard Oil.
Heat mustard oil , splutter rai along with dried red chilies , then add all the onions  and curry leaves, garlic and hing , when limp add in tomatoes and all other ingredients , cook covered 5 minutes on low till oil separates.

Now add eggs , saute 3-4 minutes , then add desired amount of water to form the gravy you need. I kept mine thick and less. Now give it all a nice boil , simmer , adjust flavors and eat with piping hot Idyappam/string hoppers.
Quick easy , different and delicious !




Director, Asian Hawkers Market Pvt. Ltd.
Administrator  & 
​Hawaldar at​
Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/

No comments:

Post a Comment