A wonderful recipe from Ruchira - which showcases select Maharashtran Vegetarian Recipes by Kamalabai Ogale . Do try it , it tastes as delicious as it looks !
10 Large Firm Tomatoes .
5 Medium Sized Potatoes - Peeled and chopped fine - (I used 3).
3 Large Onions - Grated -( I used 2).
1 & 1/2 Katoris Peas.
6 Green Chilies - Chopped ( Adjust ).
1 Teaspoon Grated Ginger.
1 Katori Chopped Coriander Greens ( I used 2 tablespoons ).
3/4th Katori Yogurt ( I used 200 Grams )
3 Teaspoons Beasn.
1 Teaspoon Sugar.
1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder.
1 Teaspoon Jeera Powder.
Chili Powder to taste.
2 Teaspoons Poppy Seeds ( I used 2 level tablespoons ).
1/2 Teaspoon Peppercorns.
2 Black Cardamon.
1" Stick cinnamon.
1. Whip curd , add besan , coriander powder and jeera powder , blend lightly and set aside .
2. Remove the top section of each tomato , scoop out the pulp , lightly level the base so that they stand.Reserve pulp and immerse tomatoes into chilled water while you cook , till needed.
3. Heat oil in a wok , add onions , cook till light brown , add half the tomatoes ( original recipe doesn't include tomatoes at this stage ) , when tomatoes leave oil add potatoes and peas , chili powder and salt and cook till done.
4. Gently dry out tomato shells / cases and fill them with the above stuffing , and place the ' caps ' back on each .
5. Heat oil , splutter peppercorn , cardamons and cinnamon till aromatic , add green chilies , ginger and poppy seeds and 30 seconds later add the curd mixture along with salt , chili powder. Gently cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Place stuffed tomatoes in a dish , pour yogurt gravy around , cover and cook for 10 minutes on low. I baked covered at 175 for 20 minutes , tomatoes came out soft , retaining their shape.
Garnish with coriander greens and enjoy a delicious visual treat !
Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/