This morning when my cook Gyan Singh began his normal raga of what I would like to eat at breakfast , lunch and dinner - yes all three must be decided in like 30 seconds or he starts all over again , I recalled reading the recipe of Bisi Bele Huli in a much treasured cookbook amongst my 500 odd cookbooks - Cooking At Home With PEDATHA- Vegetarian recipes from a traditional Andhra Kitchen. That took care of lunch and we got cracking on making Bisi Bele Huli !
1 Cup Rice .
1 Cup Split Red Gram Dal.
1 Teaspoon Haldi Powder.
1 Large Onion.
1 Medium Potato.
1 Medium Carrot.
7-8 French Beans.
3 Tablespoons Thick Tamarind Paste.
2 Green Chilies.
10-12 Curry Leaves.
4-6 Tablespoons Ghee.
2-3 Tablespoons Oil.
1/2 Cup Bengal Gram Dal.
1/4 Cup Split Black Gram Dal.
1/4 Cup Coriander Seeds.
6-8 Dried Red Chilies.
1/2 Cup Dried Coconut.
1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves.
1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds.
1/2 Teaspoon Methe Seeds.
1/2 Teaspoon Hing.
1. Boil rice till done.
2. Boil dal with haldi and salt in 3 cups of water till done , churn well.
3. Chop Vegetables in medium size pieces.
4. Dry roast 1st Powder ingredients ( not cloves and cinnamon ) , then grind all to a powder.
5. Dry roast coconut with a bit of oil till light brown , then make a paste with coriander greens .
6. In a wok , heat up ghee , splutter tempering ingredients , add all the vegetables and cook covered till vegetables are done , add water if needed.
7. Make a gravy with tamarind pulp , the 1st powder ingredients , mix into cooked dal , make sure there are no lumps.Add into the vegetables , cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add cooked rice , green chilies and curry leaves into the dal mixture and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
9. Heat Ghee , add whole chiles , I added cashew nuts too, coconut coriander mixture , cook 1 minutes , mix into the entire rice dal mixture , stir well , cook another minute , adjust flavors and sit down to a delicious meal !
Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/