Wednesday, 1 July 2015

Review of Tosa - Gujrati , Marwad & Kathiwadi Cuisine


This probably is the only time I have come to Mumbai and not headed out to eat Mumbai's famed Coastal food which I so love as friend Hrushikesh and his sister Maya Paranjape had other plans in mind for me which worked out superbly - we headed out to Tosa where I ate the most amazing Gujrati , Marwad & Kathiwadi vegetarian food . Tosa is on my never to miss out on list for a while for sure.
We started with Panki - a Gujrati specialty , I think rice flour batter , lightly fermented and steamed between banana leaves and eaten with a spicy red hot Sambhariya powder - Delicious .This was followed by Handvo a super spicy lentil cake , steamed and fried.
Khinchu was another delicious discovery - rice flour slowly added to the mix of green chilli, cumin seeds and sesame seeds in boiling water until thick like soft dough and then cooked with a steam , finally eaten with groundnut oil and chilies . We then greedily worked our way through a plate of Dakor Na Gota is an age old recipe from the village of dakor - Besan and Rava balls deep fried with various spice.
Dal Dhokliwas my favorite - a combination of spiced whole wheat flour dhoklis simmered in Gujarati dal,spicy and with a gentle sweetness . This wasn't the end , we actually ate a bowl of Pithla and finally ended wit a Rajastahani sweet - Mohanthal - rich , evil and so delicious !
I highly recommend a visit to Tosa to take in the delicious flavors of these lovely cuisines . This was my first proper introduction to Gujrati and Maharashtrian food and I would rate it as one of my best meals in Mumbai across cuisines.

No comments:

Post a Comment