Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Gosht Moplah Biryani


    Cooking biryani or rice for that matter isn't my forte , so with great hesitation I set out to replicate this superb biryani that Harjeet Sir taught us at the sikandalous cuisine's master class at Diya . The result was fabulous and I am pretty chuffed with my efforts.I played a bit with his recipe but 90% stuck to the original.The list of ingredients is long , but don't let that intimidate you as the end results are worth it.

    1 Kg Mutton Marinated in :
    1 Cup Hung Yogurt.
    2 Teaspoons each Ginger & Garlic Paste.
    3 Teaspoons Kashmiri Mirchi Powder.
    1 Teaspoon Haldi.
    1 Teaspoon Yellow Chili Powder ( use normal if unavailable ).
    1/2 Teaspoon Minced Green Chilies.
    1/2 Teaspoon Shahi Jeera.
    1 Teaspoon Ginger Juliennes ( I forgot )
    2-3 Teaspoons Desi Ghee.
    3 Teaspoons Cream ( I didn't have )
    4- Medium Sized Onions Sliced and Browned.
    15 Mint Leaves.
    3-4 Slit Green Chilies.
    3 Teaspoons Minced Coriander Stems.
    4-5 Tablespoons Refined Oil ( I used 3 Tablespoons Ghee )
    100 Ml Coconut Milk ( I added mine not to the meat but to boiling rice when half done ).
    50 Grams Mixed Whole Spice.
    10 Grams Curry Leaves.
    2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds .
    Salt to taste
    I marinated mutton overnight - Chef said 30 minutes was enough.

    I then cooked my mutton in a dutch oven at 170 C for 45 minutes . You can cook it covered over low heat till done.

    1 Kg Rice soak for 30 minutes.
    I prepared the water by bringing it to a boil , then added whole spice and star anise boiled it covered for 5 minutes and allowed the whole spice to sit in the water covered - 1 hour to heavily infuse water with the aromas of these delicious spice. I strained the whole spice , brought water to a boil , added salt and the rice and when rice was halfcooked I added coconut milk to the rice and cooked the rice till 75% done.

    3 Teaspoons Mint Leaves.
    1 Gram Saffron - lightly roasted and soaked in 120 Ml Milk / Water.
    2-3 Tablespoons Ginger Juliennes.
    6-8 Tablespoons Fried Onions.
    Coriander Greens.
    Sliced Chilies.

    Assembly:
    Place 1/3d rice in a dish , sprinkle ginger juliennes , green chilies , mint and coriander greens. Cover with 1/2 of the mutton.Top with 1/3d Rice , sprinkle ginger juliennes , green chilies , mint and coriander greens.Top with balance mutton , cover with rest of the rice and sprinkle sprinkle ginger juliennes , green chilies , mint and coriander greens.Dot saffron milk on the surface . Seal with foil and bake at 160C for 30 minutes or 10-15 minutes kept on a flat tawa.Garnish with fried brown onions when ready to eat .
    This is one spectacular recipe and seriously a must make .

1 comment: