Thursday, 5 February 2015

Beri Ka Choora / Achar



This was one of those delicious flukes that cam out of an error ! Pritha Dutta had posted a fabulous looking Ber relish / pickle which I wanted to make - so I showed the picture to my driver who went off to but them and came back with these very tiny wild beri that grow on thorny shrubs . 


I gave them a good wash , dried them , and then ended up making a delicious chooran like thinggy - I kept adjusting flavors over the 10 days as these Beri would leave water from God knows where and kept growing in size ! Here is what I did - this is approximates 1 Kg Beri 
3 Tablespoons Salt. 
In a large wide tub salt Beri in the sun for 2-3 days , they will keep leaving juices. After 2-3 days make a powder of  : 
2 Tablespoons Lightly Roasted Methe Seeds. 
3 tablespoons Lightly Roasted Jeera Seeds. 
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder. 
2 Tablespoon Lightly Roasted Black Peppercorn 
8 Tablespoons Sugar.
1 Tablespoon Hing.
Make a powder of the above , mix into salted Beri - sun for 5-7 more days - they taste divine - as I said like chooran !
The annoying thing is the tiny seeds inside , but totally worth it .

BTW that is a soup spoon with one fresh beri to give you a clue on the size.

No comments:

Post a Comment