Sunday, 16 November 2014

Sweet Amla Preserve


This recipe has been adapted from Rasachandrika - A Saraswat Cookery Book which has Saraswat recipes from their kitchens of the 40's. It's a gem of a book and I love browsing through it for ideas and recipes .I am reproducing the original recipe , and then adding my twist to it.
1 Kg Amla.
2-2.5 Kg Sugar.
Saffron For Coloring ( I didn't use )
Wash and prick Amlas with a fork.
Put Amlas in boiling water and boil for 5 minutes , drain , discarding the water.
Make a syrup with sugar ,when thick add the amlas and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Your pickle is ready to be bottled when cool.Allow the pickle to settle and marinate for a few days , then dig in .
My Twist:
I added star anise , peppercorns , red chili flakes , hing and salt to the syrup while it was being made. This flavored the syrup well and cut the sweetness with hints of spice.It tastes delicious !
http://sikandalous-cuisine.blogspot.in/
Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/

No comments:

Post a Comment