Monday, 1 September 2014

Spicy Curry Leaf Powder / Karivepaku Podi



I have to thank Putli Rao for being the inspiration behind this recipe - she sent me some delicious home made curry leaf powder when she was in Chennai - one taste and I was hooked .So I did some net research , she sent me a recipe and between all that I made this .
Sprinkle this on rice ..idlis , add it to your curries , it tastes delicious in every which way .

2 Cups Curry Leaves - You can use tender stems too.
1 Tablespoon Channa Dal .
1 Teaspoon Urad Dal.
1 Teaspoon Jeera Seeds.
1 Tablespoon Coriander seeds.
1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns.
1/2d Teaspoon Methi Seeds.
1 Tablespoon Imli - remove the seeds , dont use paste.
20 Whole Red Chiles - adjust to taste.
Salt.

In a wok using 1 teaspoon oil lightly roast the dals till aromatic and lightly colored - 3-4 minutes.Set aside.
Remove dals and roast the seeds adding 1 more teaspoon oil . I roasted all together , towards the end break chiles and add them along with imli , roast 1 minute.Set aside.

Now the slow part , I did this in 3 lots - add 1 teaspoon oil , and saute the leaves till they dry out and you can hear them crackle . Do patiently over low heat , took about 3-4 minutes per lot.Set aside and cool down the leaves by spreading them out .

Now grind all the Masalas to a fine powder , then start adding in the leaves till you come to what this picture looks like. Now add salt and you are in a delicious place !

http://sikandalous-cuisine.blogspot.in/

Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/

No comments:

Post a Comment