Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Chinchoni Fish Curry







This is a super easy and delicious recipe from The East India Kitchen - a cookbook by Michael Swamy .
500 Grams Pomfret / Kingfish - I used boneless fillets of Sole
2 Tablespoons Oil.
500 Ml Water.
Salt.
2 Teaspoons Tamarind Paste.
Masala:
6-8 Dried Red Chilies.
!00 Grams Grated Coconut.
8-10 Garlic Pieces.
1 Teaspoon Jeera/Cumin Seeds.
1/2 Teaspoon Haldi.

Soak chilies in a bit of warm water and after 10 minutes make a paste of all the masala ingredient .
Heat oil , fry masala for 3-5 minutes sprinkling water if needed.
Saute fish 2-3 minutes in masala.
Add rest of the ingredients and cook for 5 minutes. Adjust.
I used less water as I wanted a thick gravy . Came out delicious.
http://sikandalous-cuisine.blogspot.in/

Sikandalous Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/groups/325180622895/

1 comment:

  1. For this curry, I normally use half a scraped / grated coconut, 10 - 12 Kashmir chillies, 1 tsp jeera, half tsp haldi, 1 ping pong ball size of tamrind soaked in water and the pulp removed. I also add my secret ingredient here... about a heaped teaspoon of raw rice - is a good curry thickener. This is then ground to a very fine paste - the finest you possibly can grind it.
    I dont saute the fish im the masala, instead, I let the curry come to a slow boil for a few minutes, add the tamrind pulp, drop in a couple of slit green chilies, and let it simmer for a few more minutes. Then I drop in the fish and simmer until cooked.

    ReplyDelete